Private Clients and Family Law Services and Fees
Probate Services and Fees
Range of Costs
In relation to uncontested cases where all assets are in the UK our fees will range dependent on complexity, between 2% and 3% of gross value of the gross value of the deceased’s estate. We have a minimum charge of £3,000. In all cases VAT is payable in addition to our fees.
Our exact fee will depend on individual circumstances. The fee is likely to be in the higher part of the range if
- there is no will (intestacy)
- there are several assets or include overseas assests
- there are several beneficiaries
- inheritance tax is payable
There will also be disbursements payable. These are sums payable by us to third parties on your behalf. These will be charged separately and may include
- Probate application fee (this can be found online)
- Bankruptcy search fee
- Postings in the London Gazette or local newspaper (to protect against unexpected claim).
Our probate work will be handled by experienced qualified staff and closely supervised by a Director of the firm.
We are able to converse in Mandarin, Cantonese as well as English.
Scope of the works involved
The following is the likely sequence of steps
- Meeting with executor to review the Will (if there is one)
- Identify assets of the estate
- Contact third parties involving assets (banks, insurance companies, stocks and shares etc)
- Advise on potential inheritance tax libility
- Complete probate application and any relevant HMRC forms
- Draft legal oath
- Apply to the probate registry
- Obtain probate
- Collect in and distribute assets
How long will everything take
To some extent the speed of response is outside our control as we are dealing with third parties. In our experience the average time will range from 6 to 9 months to obtain probate. Then to distribute the assets can take a further 4 to 6 months depending on the location and the assets.
Copyright© Christine Lee & Co. All Rights Reserved.
Christine Lee & Co (Solicitors) Limited is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority number 363281.
A registered Company in England and Wales No. 2890577.
Registered Office: 86 Holloway Head, Birmingham B1 1NB. VAT No. 614323769.